Penn Dixie Fossil Park & Natural Reserve is a top-ranked destination for science enthusiasts of all ages. With a mission of hands-on science education, we encourage our visitors to learn about the natural world in an outdoors setting. Our programs emphasize natural history — including geology and paleontology, ecology, astronomy, local history, and other STEM fields. We serve 18,000 guests annually, including many who travel across the country to dig our fossils and explore our park.
We are hiring part-time educators for the 2023 season!
Educators are the initial connection that visitors have with Penn Dixie. Educators are responsible for introducing Penn Dixie to guests, from admission to departure. The ideal candidate is driven to provide an outstanding learning experience for visitors of all abilities and backgrounds. Educators are expected to be friendly, helpful, and consistently maintain a positive attitude despite the challenge of working outdoors with large groups of visitors. Candidates do not need a formal background in geology or paleontology, but must be willing to learn!
Please note that this position is seasonal and part-time. Some weekend and evening availability necessary.
- Provide tours for guests (various group sizes)
- Demonstrate enthusiastic and welcome behavior at all times.
- Greet guests, accept admissions, conduct introductions, guide guests throughout the site.
- Monitor and enforce safety rules.
- Ensures cleanliness and organization throughout the site, including, but not limited to, collecting, cleaning and sorting fossils, organizing and filling “fossil grab bags”, garbage pick up, light trail maintenance.
- Provide excellent customer service and be knowledgeable in Penn Dixie’s science, history, and programming (training provided).
- Explain and promote Penn Dixie programs, membership, gift shop merchandise, birthday parties, and special events.
- Respond to guest needs immediately, including issues requiring first aid.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Obtain criminal background check clearance.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Knowledge or interest in science.
- Proficiency with tablets, smartphones, and various applications.
- CPR and First Aid certifications (may be provided if employee is not currently certified)
- Must have your own reliable transportation to/from work.
Experience, Skills and Personal Qualities Required
- Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Friendly, positive attitude
- Comfortable speaking in front of groups
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
- Speaking in small and large groups
- Walking and standing outdoors, sometimes for extended periods
- Bending/stooping frequently
- Dealing with highly variable weather conditions
- Ability to lift/carry up to 40 lbs
The application can be downloaded here: 2023 Educator Application.
Candidates must email the completed application, a resume/CV, and a cover letter to Dr. Holly Schreiber at firstname.lastname@example.org.