Celebrate the 20th Annual WNY Earth Science Day at Penn Dixie on Saturday October 7 from 9 am to 4 pm, rain or shine. The event is FREE to the public and all ages are welcome.
Our first 200 visitors will receive a free fossil collecting bag and a copy of The Geology and Paleontology of Eighteen Mile Creek by Amadeus Grabau, the foremost guide to fossils in the region.
Learn about Western New York’s natural resources and our planet through interactive exhibits and demonstrations in a family-friendly setting. The exhibitor tent will include The Buffalo Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Bookmobile, Reinstein Woods, SUNY Buffalo Geology, Earth Dimensions, Past & Present Rock Shop, and many more. We’re happy to have Lloyd Taco Truck back as our lunch vendor this year.
Stay the whole day and enjoy our free 6:30 pm astronomy program offering stunning views of three planets and distant bodies like open star clusters. Teachers: Download our Earth Science Day Flyer or contact us in advance to schedule your group. There is no charge for unguided group tours on Earth Science Day.
This FREE event is made possible in part by our generous sponsors including Erie County, The Buffalo Association of Professional Geologists, Greenleaf & Company, The Buffalo Zoo, Ronald McDonald House Charities of WNY, NASA LROC, National Bank Equipment. and Ecology and Environment. Additional sponsorship and donations are welcome through the day of the event and will support Penn Dixie’s education department.
2017 Exhibitors Include:
- Animal Advocates of WNY
- Buffalo & Erie County Botanical Gardens
- Buffalo & Erie County Public Library
- Buffalo Association of Professional Geologists
- Buffalo Geological Society
- Buffalo Museum of Science
- Buffalo Niagara Waterkeeper
- Buffalo Zoo
- Braun-Ruddick Seismograph Station
- Cradle Beach
- Earth Dimensions, Inc.
- Erie County Department of Environment and Planning
- Lloyd Taco Trucks
- New York State Parks Programs Office
- Past & Present Rock Shop
- Penn Dixie
- Science Demands Action-Buffalo March for Science
- SUNY Brockport Earth Science and Meteorology Club
- SUNY Buffalo Graduate Geology Club
- SUNY Buffalo Undergraduate Geology Club
- Test America
- Town of Hamburg Department of Youth, Recreation, & Senior Services
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers — Buffalo District