19th Annual WNY Earth Science Day
Penn Dixie’s annual — and biggest — FREE program is back on Saturday October 8 from 9 am to 4 pm! Learn about our home, Earth, in an outdoors and family-friendly setting. Watch earth scientists as they exhibit and demonstrate various aspects of ther profession. View drill rigs and watch a demonstration on rock coring and drilling operations. Sunspots and solar flares will also be visible through our telescopes along with fossil collecting and a variety of other activities. And, enjoy delicious tacos from Lloyd!
Stick around in the evening for our astronomy program ‘Venus, Saturn, Mars, and the Fall Constellations‘ and you’ll be rewarded with stunning views of three planets plus a look at distant objects such as the open star cluster NGC 869-84 in Perseus. The program begins at 6 pm.
Earth Science Day is FREE to the public and will run rain or shine. Fossil collecting is $9 for adults; $7 for children; FREE for members. Evening astronomy is $4.
2016 exhibitors include:
- 3rd Rock LLC
- Aquarium of Niagara
- Animal Advocates of WNY
- Buffalo Association of Professional Geologists
- Buffalo Geological Society
- Buffalo Museum of Science
- Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper
- Canisius College Seismographic Station
- Cradle Beach
- Earth Dimensions, Inc.
- Ecology & Environment, Inc.
- Erie County Department of Environment and Planning
- Evangola State Park
- Lloyd Taco Trucks
- Past & Present Rock Shop
- Penn Dixie Site
- Reinstein Woods/NYS DEC
- SJB/Empire Geo Services, Inc.
- StratResources Geologic Consulting, LLC
- SUNY Brockport Earth Science and Meteorology Club
- SUNY Buffalo Undergraduate & Graduate Geology Clubs
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers — Buffalo