Penn Dixie Fossil Park & Natural Reserve is a top-ranked destination for science enthusiasts of all ages. With a mission of hands-on science education, we encourage our visitors to learn about the natural world in an outdoors setting. Our programs emphasize natural history — including geology and paleontology, ecology, astronomy, local history, and other STEM fields. We serve 18,000 guests annually, including many who travel across the country to dig our fossils and explore our park.
We are hiring part-time educators for the 2022 season. The educator is the initial interface between Penn Dixie and guests and is responsible for all admissions and retail transactions. The ideal candidate is driven to provide an outstanding learning experience for visitors of all abilities and backgrounds. Educators are expected to be friendly, helpful, and consistently maintain a positive attitude despite the challenge of working outdoors with large groups of visitors. We expect the best from our staff at all times. Candidates do not need a formal background in geology or paleontology, but must be willing to learn.
- Demonstrate enthusiastic and welcome behavior at all times.
- Provide excellent customer service and be knowledgeable in Penn Dixie’s science, history, and programming.
- Facilitate positive, memorable experiences for our guests by sharing with them your knowledge of the natural world and your enthusiasm for the process of scientific discovery.
- Explain and promote Penn Dixie programs, membership, gift shop merchandise, summer camps, birthday parties, and special events.
- Respond to guest needs immediately, including issues requiring first aid.
Experience, Skills and Personal Qualities Required
- All Penn Dixie staff are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays and evenings
- A ‘people person’ with a friendly, outgoing personality
- Must have your own reliable transportation to/from work
- Interest or knowledge in science
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Work independently and proactively
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
- Familiarity with educational, nonprofit, or retail sector is a plus
- Able to perform well under pressure
- Detail oriented, organized, motivated, responsible and dependable
- CPR and Basic First Aid training are required for all staff
- Speaking in small and large groups
- Walking and standing outdoors, sometimes for extended periods
- Bending/stooping frequently
- Dealing with highly variable weather conditions
- Ability to lift/carry up to 40 lbs
The application can be downloaded here: 2022 Educator Application.
Candidates must email the completed application, a resume/CV, and a cover letter to Dr. Holly Schreiber at email@example.com.